martes, 2 de junio de 2009

Home Away from Home

After we came back from Segovia. Everyone else went to go prepare for a rowdy Saturday night, but my family and I had plans to go to their "summer home". Louis, my taxi-driving Spanish father, had the weekend off so they planned a get away. I got some background on the car ride. My host-mom Carmen, has a lot of famliy in a village about and hour away. She grew up there with her 5 sisters and 3 brothers. So they kept a home out there when they moved to Valladolid. A lot of families do this and then live away from the big cities in the summer; like a cabin in Minnesota.

Their "Casita" (little house, as I'll call it) was breathtaking. It was on the outside of the village, with a barn nearby where you could hear the sheep "baaa" during chow time, and when you opened the front door, you looked at nothing more than an open field straight off into the horizon.



(My host mom is in the green in front and my host sister is the girl in the white in the way back.)

We got there late Saturday, went out and met up with some of Carmen's family, and returned home. I slept like a rock. I had the only room upstairs. I slept until noon.

Their Sundays never involve much. There¡s a lot of relaxing and enjoyment the day. The weather was perfect. Around midday, some of Carmen's family dropped by and we had some sangria. (wine, with juice and sugar and fruit) Later, the ladies played some cards on a table in the front and I joined in. We had some laughs and slowly drank some more sangria.

After, they took me on a walk around the village. We stopped at Carmen's parents house (who weren't there). Two of Carmen's sisters who came to the house showed me around their summer houses too. They houses were so antique and cozy.


After, Luis cooked a ton of meat over an open fire for our family. I ate like a king. I was very satisfied. I rode home listening to music, thinking how great of an opportunity this is. I don't think any othet student on this trip would have enjoyed the weekend as much as I had. Other students may have been upset that they would miss a Saturday night bar hopping and dancing, but I was so happy that we left and was able to experience great people and a beautiful place.

Peace and God Bless.

Love,
Jack

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario