miércoles, 27 de mayo de 2009

Mailbag

Before I begin, be sure to ask me any questions you wish. Either you can try commenting on a blog entry or email me at jpries@csbsju.edu. I'll be checking my mail.

So from the questions I have recieved, I will address them here:

1. When I referenced drinking, the Spanish are not fans of being drunk. In the United States I feel that it's more acceptable or more common. Here, it's frowned upon. They like drinking, but in a casual manner, NOT to simply get drunk. Maybe it's just a college thing.

2. I have walked everywhere around town and have yet to take a bus or a train; except for the bus to Salamanca. I'm getting a lot of walking in which is good preperation for the Camino coming up in a few weeks. (Parents: I even have worn my walking boots.) School is about a 15-20 minute walk away.

3. I have a Spanish professor for a teacher. She is from Spain. My classmates include a girl from St. Ben's, who I have had a class with before, and José's son, Daniel, who is 12 and has spoken Spanish and English quite equally throughout his life. But his age does show a bit in class.

4. All of the other students on this trip are taking classes here at the same University. There's only about 5 classes to choose from. But I still see them around where I take my classes.

5. We have an "excursion" each Saturday. Salamanca was the first week, this week we go to La Granja (sort of like the grand canyon), and I can't remember what the last one is.

Things I brought that I wish I didn't bring:
-A bunch of $1 bills that have absolutely no use. I have not seen any other American money exchanged at all here.
-Two flannel long sleeve shirts. They may seem in style in the land of 10,000 lakes, but they really have no place here and don't pass for a "nice" dress shirt here.

Things I brought that I'm so glad I brought:
-Mom, that raincoat we bought is working out tremendously. It rains spontaneously here and, in my opinion, it looks very classy.
-The watch I bought at Target the day before the trip.

Things I wish I could have brought but didn't:
-More nice looking shirts. Everyone dresses nice here. And I don't have too many shirts to wear around the town at night that would help me fit in. Maybe I need to buy some. It may cost me a pretty penny though.

Everyone will be in a pub somewhere tonight (myself included) to watch the ultimate soccer (fútbol) match. The UEFA Champions League Final: Manchester United vs. Barcelona.


Barcelona's best vs England's best. The fact that a Spanish team is in this championship out of all the teams in Europe is pretty important to them. (Spain is divded between their two best teams; Barcelona and Real Madrid. So many will be rooting AGAINST Barcelona tonight I'm sure)

Today, we're also going to take a tour of el Museo de Toros. (The Bull Museum) I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Jack

1 comentario:

  1. Can I assume your venue for watching the biggest game of the year was slightly more exciting than my living room? Sounds like you're having the time of your life.keep the blogs going whenever you have time. I'm living vicariously through you right now-then again, I do that even when you're not in Spain.

    ResponderEliminar